Do you have a valid discrimination complaint?

Is your situation against the law?

Not all discrimination is unlawful. Please check the types of discrimination covered by the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) before you lodge your complaint.

You can contact our enquiry service for information about anti-discrimination law and to ask for advice about the complaint process.

Even if your problem is not covered, we may be able to refer you to another service that can help you or suggest other ways to deal with the problem.

Who can make a discrimination complaint in NSW?

  • An individual who has been discriminated against, sexually harassed, vilified or victimised.
  • A group of people who have been discriminated against, sexually harassed or vilified.
  • Your lawyer, or organisations such as unions and other representative bodies, if the complaint makes it clear that you agree with the complaint being made and you are named in the complaint. In some circumstances you may also be required to show that you consent to the complaint being made on your behalf.
  • In certain circumstances, a person can make a complaint on behalf of a child or a person with a disability if they cannot do it themselves. In these cases, please contact us for more information.

You can only lodge a complaint of vilification if you have the characteristic or come from the group that you feel has been vilified. For example, you can only lodge a homosexual vilification complaint if you are gay or lesbian.

Last updated:

06 Dec 2021

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the ongoing connection Aboriginal people have to this land and recognise Aboriginal people as the original custodians of this land.

Top Return to top of page Top